Friday, May 28, 2010

Three Day Weekend

It's finally here. Memorial Day Weekend. I've been waiting on this for weeks now. I feel bad in a way, because all I've been thinking of is the time off from work, and the beautiful weather. My mind tends to forget what the holiday is about. It's about remembering those that have given their very lives to protect our way of life. If I see a military person this weekend, I want to make sure and thank them for their service.

I never was interested in joining any branch of the military. My Dad served in the Army, and so did his Dad. My brother, Brian, served for a while. I think I passed my disinterest on to my two boys. Neither of them ever had the slightest interest in joining. Not that that's a BAD thing. Not everyone is born with the desire to. We all have our place in this world. God's plan includes all different kinds of service, not just military.

This is going to be a nice weekend, weather-wise, I hope. The Indianapolis 500 is Sunday. It's really cool that most of the world focuses on our state that one day each year. Indianapolis has built themselves up as a huge sports city. With the Lucas Oil Stadium, we finally got our chance to host the Super Bowl. I've been inside the Stadium one time, and it is HUGE. My brother, Brian, the military guy, took me there for a Colts football game on my 50th birthday. Nice.

I'm really looking forward to Sunday. Not only for church service, which I love, but also our friends from South Carolina are coming up for the week, and we get to see them Sunday night. I can't wait to see them again. Right now, I'm just really glad it's Friday. Thank you God for this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment