Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Toy Story 3 (A Movie Date)

I went to see Toy Story 3 with my wife yesterday. The movie was absolutely fantastic. The theater we saw it in, was not. Our local theater has been here for quite some time. It has been bought and sold alot lately. It's hard to make any money in a small town, especially when you only charge like 4 or 5 dollars for a ticket, when everybody else is charging 9 dollars. The newest owners of the theater are charging 7 dollars a ticket, which is still cheaper than the other places, in other cities. I hadn't been to our local theater in years, so I had forgotten what it was like. I was told they had fixed the sound system, and made it more of a surround sound. Right.

When we went, they only had one speaker working up front. It sounded like one of those old AM radios we carried around, about 40 years ago. Also, as if that wasn't good enough, the air conditioning was not working. So, here we were, in a theater with about 150 kids either crying, or screaming, with not cool air, and a speaker that you had to strain to hear. And, we were obviously not going to see the 3D version of this movie. Wow! What a night.

Once I got used to all the downgrading, the movie was great. The story was good, and easy to follow. They used all the characters very well. There was no bad language, maybe an innuendo or two, not bad. I laughed through most of the movie, and cried at the end. It was better than most real-life movies that are out. Even though I was sweating when it was over, I still waited for all the credits to roll, just in case there was something at the end. There wasn't.

I don't mean to sound overly critical, it really wasn't a horrible night. I just don't think I will be going back to that theater anytime soon. If I want to see another movie, I'll either wait for the Blu-Ray, or drive to Muncie and pay 9 dollars for air conditioning, and cool sound. Oh yeah, and stadium seating. Did I mention they were giving away FREE POPCORN? It was stale. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment