Thursday, April 29, 2010

No Respect.

I have noticed lately that there is a total lack of respect for anything anymore. We, as a society, don't seem to care about anybody, or anything. When I was a kid, you did not walk through anyone's yard, PERIOD!!! There was no discussion about it, you just didn't do it. If you did do it, you were punished for it. You knew it was coming, and there was nothing you could do about it. Today, not so much. I've seen entire families of kids walking in my yard, like it was no big deal. And sadly, to them, it is no big deal. It's probably how they were raised. Every generation loses a little more of the values that used to be taken for granted.

Not only do children not respect adults, but most adults don't respect themselves, or those around them. Watch the cars around you the next time you're on the highway. Or worse, on an ordinary side street. Some ADULT drivers seemingly think it's a two for one day, taking your turn, because THEY are in a hurry. No respect. None. Our society is built on respect for rules, and respect for one another. When that respect is gone, anything goes. That's called chaos.

Before I became a Christian, I, unfortunately, used to use profanity. I used it alot. But, even then, I knew not to use around those that found it offensive. I was raised to care about others. Today, you can't even watch TV during the 'family hour', without getting hit square in the face with one offensive word after another. The writers go for the lowest common denominator when they are scripting the shows. They need laughs, and dirty words get laughs. So what if not everybody wants to hear it. Let them change the channel. No respect.

One of the definitions for respect is, 'Willingness to show consideration or appreciation'. Consideration for others, and showing appreciation to others, is a lost art. I personally try to thank people for anything they do for me. I sometimes go overboard, I'm sure. But I want to make sure they know that I appreciate what they have done for me. Again, it's the way I was raised. Carolyn and I tried to raise our two boys to do the same thing. For the biggest part, they do. People are always telling us that we have two, very well-mannered boys. Hopefully, they will try to pass this on to their children. Here's hoping.

If we lose respect for rules, laws, etiquette, authority, morals, and each other, we will have lost what makes, and keeps us, civilized. When we stop being civilized, and chaos reigns, we will no longer be the great nation we have fought so hard to become. If that happens, God help us.

Speaking of God, He is the reason we have become the great nation we are. As a nation, we are quickly losing respect for God and His Word. Like someone has said, it's the Ten Commandments, not the Ten Suggestions. God has given us a simple list of 'Thou shalt not's', because He knows that if we just do what is right in our own eyes, we won't make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment