Monday, February 7, 2011

Surgery And Such

Well, tomorrow is the day for my surgery.  I am having surgery on my left shoulder.  It seems a bone spur has formed on my shoulder bone (?), and is rubbing against muscle and such.  It causes my arm to go numb, and causes a dull, constant pain throughout my arm, down into my fingers.  It causes me to wake up a lot at night.  It's also very irritating.  So, I am having it taken care of.  I will be off work for about 6 weeks. 

I am really, really dreading this surgery.  I trust the surgeon, Dr. Rolston, but all surgery holds any number of unforeseen risks.  I am praying, a lot, and trusting in God for His perfect will to be done.  

I think the paperwork, and waiting on approval of Short Term Disability payment, is just as irritating as the surgery itself.  In some ways, even more so.  I only stand to receive a little over half of my regular pay for the next 6 weeks.  I guess the fact that I'll be saving all that money I usually spend on gas for the car, is slightly satisfying.  

We're looking at ways to cut back on spending.  We are going to get rid of our Dish Satellite TV.  We have hooked a computer tower with a WI-FI receiver, to the TV.  We'll be able to watch some TV shows, and other things, on our TV now.  We also signed up for Netflix.  That will cost $9.99 a month.  So, we are doing pretty good, so far. 

My one consolation in all of this, is the fact that, hopefully, after 6 weeks of healing and physical therapy, I'll be able to start getting more use out of my left arm.  I'm hoping by summer, I'll be as good as new.  After all, God is in control, not me.  Whatever happens, I can rest assured that He will see me through it.  God is good, all the time.  And, all the time, God is good.  To Him be all the glory, and honor, and praise, for ever and ever.  Amen.







 

1 comment:

  1. good to see you write again Alan! Although the subject is a bit difficult, you're right in that you must trust God to see you through. By sharing your story, you allow others (me!) to serve by praying for you! ; ) And I will.

    In September of 09, I was pulled from my job (I drive a city bus) by my doctor, because I had two herniated discs in my neck. A week prior to that, my husband was injured on the job and needed knee surgery. State disability was a nightmare and my surgeon didn't help much 'cuz he would only give me disability leave month to month... yes, nightmare!

    Husband had his knee surgery a week before my neck surgery (in November), so I had to care for him before and he cared for me after... we sure made a pair!

    Thank God, He allowed husband to recover fully and quickly, allowing him to go back to work in December. I took a total of 5 months for my recovery and managed to go back to work in April '10.

    Through those months, we actually grew closer to each other and God! We struggled financially and lost our home and we're being sued by our creditors, but hey! We're at peace and we accept that these trials are here for a reason.

    This past year, husband found out he had a bad heart valve. No heart disease, but the valve was damaged and doing some bad stuff to him. Sadly, he didn't believe the docs when they said it was serious and he needed surgery. I almost lost him in December, due to his stubbornness. Thank God again!!! The doc was able to repair the valve and husband's recovery is amazing! The surgeon told us that husband's heart was barely beating and was in bad shape... but now, he's lost weight and is back to being very active. He'll be going back to work at the end of the month.

    The point I guess I'm trying to make is, trust that God will get you through this, cuz only He can! sometimes we have to step back and listen to what people are telling us, cuz through them God speaks.

    YOu'll be fine Alan. Doctors are amazing nowadays. I speak from experience! I couldn't even pick up a pen when my neck was messed up. I admit, I have pain now, but nothing like before and I'm able to go to work. Hang in there and keep us updated, 'kay?

    God Bless you
    Lotus

    ReplyDelete