Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Box Of Stars

My post today is a poem I wrote back in January of this year.  I wrote it as part of a poetry exercise.  The exercise was to look around and find an item in the room, and write a poem about it, without much forethought.  I was sitting in my bedroom at the time, and looking around the room, I saw the box on a shelf that contained a folded flag.  It was the flag that my wife received when her adoptive dad passed away.  When I saw the flag, the first thing that popped in my head was, a box of stars.  I wrote the poem in about 15 minutes.  It's kind of a sad poem, about death, and loss, and loneliness.  It is one of my favorites, mainly because of how it came to be written.  Enjoy.

A box of stars
A single rose
Marble squares
In single rows.

Sad goodbyes
Wiping tears
Asking why
Sad despair.


A quiet house
No longer home
No longer loud
Voices gone.


Get out of bed
A life to live
Look ahead
So much to give.


One day, then two
They're all the same
The life you knew
Is like a dream.


You'll heal, with time
God makes a way
You'll soon feel fine
But not today.

1 comment: