Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sick Day

I have had allergy problems for awhile now, like alot of others I'm sure.  So, yesterday I had enough, and went to WalMart to buy some medicine.  I don't like to take most over-the-counter medicines, but I was desperate.  I bought a generic version of Sudafed 12-hour medicine, and took one last night at 7pm.  It wasn't too bad, at least for the first couple of hours, anyway.

We went to bed at 10pm, and I was hoping the medicine would give me a good night's sleep.  I haven't been able to breathe well at night because of the allergies.  Well, less than an hour after I went to sleep, I was jolted awake, with my heart racing a mile a minute.  My head was spinning, my breathing was shallow and rapid.  It really scared me.  After rolling around in bed, trying to get back to sleep, I finally got up to walk around, hoping to get tired.  I ended up staying up, pacing back and forth in my bathroom, so I wouldn't wake Carolyn up. 

Long story short, I was up until after 3am.  I was supposed to get up at a little after 5am. to get ready for work.  I made the decision to call in.  I really hate to do that, for several reasons.  One, of course, is I don't get paid for not working.  Two, I get an absence on my attendance record.  Our attendance policy is pretty tight, so I can't get too many.  I would hate to lose my job because of attendance, after having worked there for almost 19 years.  The last reason I hated to miss, is because so many people call in sick in my department, and I feel bad for my supervisor.  He tries to keep things running smoothly, with the people he has, and I think he does a good job. 

I went to bed after calling in, and, of course, I laid there unable to sleep for about a half hour.  When I did finally go to sleep, I was awakened by Carolyn's alarm at around 7:30am.  I have been up ever since.  It is now almost 11am. as I am writing this.  I know there was no way I could have made it at work, but I still feel bad about the whole thing.  Such is life.  As a Christian, I know that EVERYTHING happens for some reason, sometimes known only to God Himself.  I will trust that He will take care of me, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment