Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pericarditis

I have had some crazy, scary things happen to me in my 52 years on this planet, but I thought Thursday, June 9th was going to be the last day I ever spent here.  I woke up at 1a.m. thinking I was having a heart attack.  I had such a crushing pain in my chest, I couldn't even take in a breath.  I immediately got out of bed, hoping it was some strange effect of sleeping wrong.  I know, but I was hopeful.  When I stood up and realized it was still happening, I was truly scared.  Carolyn woke up and told me I was going to the ER.  I started to argue, but it's sort of hard to do when you can't breathe.  So, the adventure began.

We hurried and got to the car, still in our pj's, and rushed off to the hospital.  I'm so glad there weren't too many cars out at that time of night.  I was urging Carolyn to drive as fast as she could, and would have loved for her to run a few red lights.  Like I said, I was scared.  

When we got to the hospital, the lady at the desk could see the seriousness of the situation.  I was clutching my chest, trying to breath, and moaning very loudly every time I tried.  They hurried up and got me in a wheelchair, and took me to the head of the line, rushing me back to the ER, and getting me in one of their little cubicles.  I was immediately surrounded by nurses, asking me questions, and trying to assess the problem.  They were very thorough, and professional.  Even in my state of panic, I felt like they were going to be able to help me.

I was given Nitro-glycerin to help with the pain.  I have never had one of those pills before, and never want one again.  They burn like crazy under your tongue.  But, it helped.  I was given a total of 3 nitro pills, and 4 chewable baby aspirins.  These helped to ease the pain in my chest, but gave me a really nice headache.  I was soon given an IV, and administered a nitro drip.  They also gave me something called Diloden.  I don't know how it's spelled, but did it ever work.  It calmed me down quickly, and helped stabilize my breathing.  I began to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I wasn't walking toward it right then either.

After an hour or so of this, I was transported by ambulance to St. Vincent's Heart Center, in Indianapolis.  They were very professional also.  They took me to a little room about as big as a broom closet.  It was just big enough for a bed and a chair.  It was called the Short Stay area.  They were so nice and comforting there.  After the cardiologist came in, he had me sent right up to have a heart catherization.  I must have told those poor people 20 times, at least, that I wanted to be put out for this procedure.  I did not want to be brave and experience the sensation of having something shoved through my veins, from my groin, to my heart.  They were so nice to put up with me.  I will never win any awards for heroism.  The results came back, and my arteries, veins, or whatever, were clean.  The other blood tests, and ultrasound test, showed that I had not had a heart attack.  That was very nice to hear.  But then, if it wasn't a heart attack, what was it?

The cardiologist, Dr. Brindley, told me it was Pericarditis.  This is caused by a virus of some kind entering the sac around the heart, and causing inflammation.  According to the Dr., the pain is far worse than a heart attack, but there is no damage to the heart.  Another nice thing to hear.  It lingers for a week or so, making it difficult to breathe.  You also shouldn't try to lift anything heavier than 5 to 10 pounds, or try to do anything to excess, for about 10 days.  I am taking the next week off of work, without pay, so that I can get this healed up and gone.  I don't ever want that pain again.

Now, I am back home, recuperating.  One thing I learned from this experience, is the fact that, when faced with the possibility of sure death, I was not scared.  I found myself more concerned with making sure Carolyn knew that I loved her, and thanking her for praying for me, and being a good wife to me.  The thought of dying was actually quite comforting.  That comes, I imagine, from being prepared to die. 

Facing death is not something that happens everyday.  I remember telling people that I was not scared to die, but in the back of my mind, wondering if it were really true.  I am so glad that almost 18 years ago, I gave my life to Jesus, and accepted Him as my Lord and Savior.  I asked God to forgive me of my sins, and turned it all over to Him.  It was a decision that forever changed my life.  And, as it turns out, changed my outlook on death also.  

God is so gracious and kind to us, even when we don't deserve it.  Because of this 'experience', I am going to get behind on my bills, and probably lose a few things along the way.  But the cool thing is, I know that God has a plan for all of it.  Everything I lose, is something that I didn't need anyway.  There are other houses, cars, etc.  If God sees fit to let me lose something, He will provide something else.  I can't say that it's not a little scary to face losing a home I've been blessed with for almost 28 years, but God has gotten us through so many other things in our lives, I know He will be there for us now.  It's all His anyway, to do with as He pleases.  I am just 'borrowing' it while I'm here.  "It's so sweet, to trust in Jesus."  

May God bless you and yours.  And if you don't yet know Jesus as your Lord and Savior, today is a great day to accept Him.  You'll never regret it.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog after you posted on mine. Thank you. My daughter and I made up. She is a most remarkable woman and has gone through more in her 40 years then most have by the age of 90. I am thankful that through it all she has kept her faith in God, even tho He seemed far away from her and not caring. But she realizes that God saves us but does not always remove the consequences of our choices. Some she made when she was young were not always the right ones.

    Now for you. I am so glad that you didnt have a heart attack. I pray that God will bring you a quick healing and that all your needs will be provided for and you will not loose your home. God never leaves His children alone nor forsakes them.

    God bless you
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst time has passed”However, it is true that there are more improvements than before...because of the rising numbers of people living with HIV in the state of Nevada. How could they stigmatize all of them? Therefore everything becomes a little easier and we start to share everything... We also started to invite and visit each other in a community. You know, it is six years since I started taking antiretroviral drugs...Yet whatever problems I face, the worst time has passedWhen I was evicted from the family home by my mother, my father rented a small room for me. But my mother and brothers believed that having HIV was my own fault – and that I deserved to be punished...I also considered myself unworthy and without hope... But I have a child and eventually I convinced myself to live for my child’s sake.
    My mother knew nothing [about HIV]. She didn’t understand anything. Do you know why? She didn’t have [the chance] to go out of the house and communicate with society. However, my father does interact with the community. I know his friends are mature and dignified africa america. So he has a better understanding than her.My father came call me on a sadfull day sitting on my couch about a friend of his from africa who introduce him to Dr Itua herbal cure in africa in which he advise we should purchase his herbal medicine to cure my hiv so we did and Dr Itua prescribed I should drink the herbal medicine for two weeks to cure although we were so curious about the whole thing ,I finished the herbal medicine like he advised then he talked to me to visit my nearest clinic for check up I did and now I'm totally cured from Hiv my father was my rock and I and my family are now happy together also Dr Itua has be helpful in my community ever since he cure my Hiv so why I'm leaving my story on here today is to reach out someone out here to hope on God and never give up no matter the situation you that you are facing especially through this pandemic seasons which has really taught us all on how we should be helpful to each other and cherish one another.Dr Itua cures the following diseases..... Herpes,Liver cancer,Throat cancerLeukemia.,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis.
    Intestinal cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Bladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer,Thyroid Cancer.You can contact Dr Itua Herbal Center on E-Mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats-App Chat : +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete